Saturday, November 25, 2006

Teaching Life Drawing at Sheridan College

I've recently accepted the challenge of teaching lifedrawing to the 3rd year animators at Sheridan College and it's been a fantastic ride.

I wish I could teach them for the whole school year but unfortunately I'll only have them for 4 1/2 weeks. Next semester they will be taught by one of my former teachers Gerry Zeldin. It's ok though because I know they'll be in good hands and also 2007 I'll be doing a lot of travelling around North America (Calgary, LA, SF, SD, Chicago, Detroit, Philly) so I wouldn't have time anyways.

Still though... I wish I could have had these students from the beginning of the semester because there's just so much I want to tell them and so little time. Not just about teaching them to draw but how to present themselves as artists.

I feel it's going good though. I feel like I'm really starting to reach a lot of them and I can already start to see improvements in their work. It's weird though because that's just not enough for me. I want to see everybody noticably improve, not just the majority of the students. It's tough because I can see the potential in everyone of these students but many of them don't. I wish I could just take them back into the past when I was a student and show them that all it takes is some passion for learning and some hard work. I still have a few weeks left with them so I still have time. It's been a blast so far! Can't wait to see all their portfolios in two weeks.

Here's some demos I did in class yesterday. I added a bit of tone in photoshop.