Monday, April 06, 2009

Phil Mickelson for GOLF Magazine




I can finally share the art that I did for GOLF Magazine! It's out on stands now, page 87. This was a fun piece to work on. Since the article I was illustrating for was mostly about the crazy golf course "Whisper Rock", I chose to make the background just as important a character as Phil Mickelson.

The fun that I have while creating these pieces is in creating something that didn't exist before. I used references of Phil Mickelson, but created the expression by shooting photo references of myself as well as spending a good amount of time making faces in a mirror. The background is fictional as well. For the background, I read up a bit on the course and found out what makes it unique and different from other courses. I then gathered up some visual references of the course and then created my own version . . . a "caricature" of the course.

*Fun Fact* The golfer in the very back is my little brother Jeremy.

To see more of my process in creating this piece, please visit my blog.