Wednesday, November 19, 2008



We just wrapped up the last semester of my character design by Silver course at www.schoolism.com and I wanted to share with you a couple of the students work. I give my students an assignment on week one before I teach them anything and then by week nine they take another stab of it with the knowledge they have acquired. the image on the left is from week one and the one on the right is from week nine. If you are interested in taking the course, the next semester begins Jan.5th 2009. Also here are a couple comments my students have made from the last semester.

This course was a great experience! I think any one who draws characters can benefit from it. It was packed with exercises and lessons to help push my drafting skills. It also was very encouraging to have a Skilled professional go over my own drawings, giving helpful advice along the way. This was money well spent!

-Alan Stewart

I'm very grateful to have learned so many things from this class. I really do not think I would've learned many of these things anywhere else. This course has opened my eyes to many aspects of art in general, including rhythm, balance, appeal, and breathing life into characters through shapes, poses, line art, and much more. I can safely say that these lessons have indeed improved my drawing abilities, and given me a different outlook when it comes to designing characters. All of the lessons, great tips and advice you gave have a permanent place in my mind, a database if you will, of information that I refer to whenever I am drawing characters. What I'm most happy about is the fact that I am now able to bring more life into my characters. And although, I'm not quite as good as I'd like to be yet, I have a better design sense than I did before, and I know this will help me grow. Thanks for all the awesome lessons and fun course Stephen!

- Dave Han